Production & Operations Associate
The Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center (the Kate) seeks a highly motivated and detail-oriented Production & Operations Associate to join the Kate team in presenting 275+ performances and special programs yearly.
The incumbent will report to and support the work of the Production and Operations Manager in maintaining the theater, light and sound equipment, communication with artists and artist representatives. Additional responsibilities will support IT infrastructure, and assist in and often lead production and technical elements of other projects at the Center. The Production & Operations Associate will also manage Partner Presentations and Rental agreements.
The Kate is a very team-oriented atmosphere with staff frequently overlapping in duties and responsibilities. Someone who thrives in a team environment will excel at the Kate.
This position will work a non-traditional schedule which will include nights (3 or more per week) and weekends.
- With the Production and Operations Manager, maintain all theater equipment including lighting and audio systems, livestream camera equipment, and simulcast satellite systems. Assist with, IT infrastructure items including network cabling, switches, and Wi-Fi access points.
- Effectively communicate performance details with artists, agents and artist managers, as well as freelance technicians and artist hospitality teams.
- With the Production and Operations Manager maintain the performance and event calendar, agendas and important department documents.
- Set up/strike events and transition theater and auxiliary spaces based on the daily schedule of need.
- Under the leadership of the Production and Operations Manager, be knowledgeable in supplemental Center systems including ticketing, HVAC, digital signage, architectural lighting, and others.
- Lead all production elements for Kate special events (Gala, Oscar Party, etc.).
- Operate general lighting (ETC EOS systems) or sound mixing (Yamaha QL series) equipment, or both, when needed. The Kate works with a very strong and talented core of freelance lighting designers and sound engineers, but this position may be responsible some performances.
- With the Production and Operations Manager, determine production needs for rentals (conferences, weddings, meetings events, etc.) and analyze their impact on operations across all departments and spaces.
- With the Production and Operations Manager, coordinate logistics for all rentals, from single day/evening rentals and weeklong theater residencies.
Kate’s Camp for Kids
- With the Production and Operations Manager, ensure all technical and space needs are met for after school and camp programs.
- Act as the technical lead for public camp performances at the end of each session. (Currently 9 weeks each summer, a fall program, and a winter/spring program.).
- Act as administrator for events, following all procedures for closing and reconciling concessions, settling with artists, managing volunteers, and properly locking the building.
- The Kate works with professional performers/musicians, amateur performers/musicians, individuals with varying abilities, and children. The Associate must exhibit patience and compassion and be willing to develop an appropriate and positive relationship with all these groups.
- Represent the Kate in a professional, positive manner when interacting with patrons and volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS:
- Comfort with technology is a must. Excellent working knowledge of either general lighting (ETC EOS systems) or sound mixing (Yamaha QL series) or both.
- Experience with Qlab, CAD, OBS Studio, and/or Final Cut Pro a plus.
- Knowledgeable of the basics of TCP/IP networking, as all audio, stage lighting, and architectural lighting systems are part of a network infrastructure.
- Excellent email and phone communication skills are key.
- Available evenings, weekends, and some holidays required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel.
- Able to move and lift furniture, set pieces, props and other equipment of 50 lbs or more.
- Strong time management, with the ability to deftly handle a variety of tasks.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS THESE QUALITIES:
- Organized, creative, efficient team player with a genuine interest and demonstrated background in theater, production, large-scale event production, computer networks, and/or arts management.
- Able to efficiently manage a wide range of tasks with accuracy, grace, and humor.
- Upbeat with a “let’s-do-this” attitude.
- Able to manage multiple projects, meeting strict deadlines and working well under pressure.
- Problem-solver, with the ability to rectify situations calmly and efficiently.
- Discreet, able to handle sensitive information with reliability, maturity, and confidence.
- Able to identify opportunities to make a positive difference.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Commitment to the Kate’s mission and belief in the organizational values.
- Willing to grow with the Kate and its diverse programming.
This Full-Time, Exempt position is available immediately. Competitive compensation ranging from $55,000-$60,000, based on experience. The Kate offers a benefit package including health, dental, and disability insurance and an IRA match at the beginning of employees third calendar year.
Email resume and cover letter to Robin Menzies, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Kate is an equal opportunity workplace.
Audio Engineers / Lighting Designers:
The Kate keeps a roster of professional sound and lighting technicians to join and/or supplement our house crew. If you wish to be considered, please send your material and contact information to email@example.com with subject line “Kate Tech Crew.”
Bar / Concessions Staff:
The Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center (The Kate) is looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our Bar/Concessions staff.
This position is part-time/as needed. Scheduling is completed in month blocks at least 2 weeks in advance and is based on the Kate’s production/show schedule. This position requires evenings/weekends but has great flexibility in scheduling. Shifts are typically 3-5 hours.
Bar/Concessions Staff is responsible for preparing bar/concessions for shows, preparation, cleanliness, Point of Sales/handling money, and restocking.
The Kate’s Bar/Concessions is simple in nature: water, soda, beer, wine, snacks, and basic mixed drinks. Advanced bar-tending skill is not required though favorable. TIPS certification a plus. Hires made without TIPS certification will be required to complete training with organizational assistance.
Individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment and have great customer services skills will be most successful in this position.
For more information or to submit a resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org.